HOW TO APPLY
How Do Schools Apply?
The Green Schools Application Form provides detailed instructions on how to assemble and submit a Green Schools application. It also includes a copy of the required Cover Sheet that must be included at the beginning of every application. Please carefully read the application form, and follow all directions when writing, assembling, and submitting your application.
The application form can be downloaded here: 2016-2017 Green School Application
- Before you can submit your application, someone from your school must attend a free Green Schools Workshop or complete the online training (this is mandatory for all new applicants). The in-person workshops are held in the fall each year. These trainings will give you the basic information you’ll need to help your school take successful steps towards sustainability. To see a list of workshop dates, open the Calendar of Events on the home page. You can register for a FREE in-person workshop or complete our FREE online training.
- Form a Green Team at your school. Assess where you currently are based on the rubric, and plan new green initiatives. Your entire school should work to implement these initiatives throughout the year.
- Write your application. The application cover page and instructions are included in the application. The major components of the application include:
- A cover sheet completed and signed by the principal, SAC chair (if applicable), and two lead teachers
- A narrative summary of your school’s green activities
- Documentation of all require criteria for recognition
- Six high-quality photos showcasing your school’s green activities
- Submit your application on the Green Schools website. Fill out the submission form, and attach your application and photo files.
Applications are due on March 6, 2017!
- Please note, if your school is currently recognized as a Green School of Promise, Quality or Excellence you are not required to attend a Green Schools Recognition Program Workshop. However, you are still required to submit an application each year to maintain your Green Schools status and to give notice to Lauren Butcher (email@example.com) of your school’s intent to apply. An email will be sent in December requesting your intent to apply.
2016 – 2017 Rubric
The Green Schools rubric is the heart of the program. The criteria in the rubric help to level the playing field for all schools – elementary, middle, and high, and public and private. The program points are based on a 100 point system, where the maximum number of points for all 6 categories is 104 points (schools can earn up to 4 bonus points under the Innovation category). A school’s ultimate goal under each indicator should be school wide involvement and student leadership. For more details about each category and indicator, please refer to the Green Schools Rubric.
For detailed information on program eligibility, application procedures, and awards policies, please carefully read the below document.